My Magazine website

My Magazine website
Click the above image to view my website

My magazine cover, Edition 1

My magazine contents page, Edition 1

My magazine cover, Edition 2

My magazine contents page, Edition 2

Friday 26 October 2018

1. Audience


The target audience for my magazine is the "culturally sophisticated, 16-25 class AB demographic".

To me, this indicates that the group of people that my magazine will be targeting are well educated, knowledgable and want a challenge. The Cambridge Dictionary states the definition of 'sophsticated' as: "[someone] having a good understanding of the way people behave and/or a good knowledge of culture and fashion". This is important to grasp as it is indicative of an audience who absolutely know the ins and outs of the fashion world, so my magazine will have to not only strike them as a source of reliable and accurate information, but will also have to strive to inform and present new ideas to an already 'culturally sophisticated' group of people. I have spoken to several people I know within the 16-25 age bracket about various media consumption, and 50% said that they would buy a magazine if they felt it was "something new" or interesting enough, while 100% of them said they used social media regularly every day- meaning that untilising social media will be crucial when trying to captivate my TA.


The graph to the right breaks down various media usage of young adults over the last (average) week and it shows that whilst there is a sleight discrepency between total adults reading magazines and young adults reading magazines (2%). I have also found data revealing that when it comes to fashion magazines, the percentage of young adults reading is 34% versus all adults, who total 22%. This shows that, of my target demoagraphic, over a third of them read my chosen media. Furthermore, 58% of my target audience group were said to "enjoy looking at ads in magazines" (QuadGraphics), indicating that magazine advertising is a highly effective method of selling to an already affluent target audience.


The social grade 'AB' represents the top 27% of society in Britain in terms of affluence (sourced from Ipsos MediaCT). Members of the group will have either "High managerial, administrative or professional" jobs (A) or "Intermediate managerial, administrative or professional" jobs (B). Furthermore, in the last 40 years, the percent of society in the AB classes has risen by 15%.
All of the information I have found out would indicate that I am tailoring my magazine for a increasingly large group of people who are all financially well-off. This could perhaps suggest that a higher price point for my magazine could be the way to proceed.
However, the jobs that the AB class would tend to have are likely to be very time consuming, and this partnered with the fact they will perhaps be paying a relatively high price means that my magazine will have to be a high-end product that justifies its expensiveness.
Additionally, the aflluence of my target audience means that the content featured both in and on my magazine will have to reflect the budgets of my TA, meaning top-end products should be advertised and when it comes to trends and movements in fashion, my magazine could disregard lower budget looks, brands etc. as this may not be what my TA are looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment